Nintendo first released the Switch in 2017. Since then, it has served the gaming community in numerous ways. The portable gaming console is perfect for traveling gamers and home gamers alike.
Even though being a handheld device, the graphics are far better than the DS and 3DS series which enables it to play on a larger screen as well. However, there are still some limitations to the Switch. For one, the hybrid console processes at a lower clock than possible. This ultimately results in less theoretical output.
Though Nintendo has made upgrades to the system time and again by releasing more of the console’s power, its internal Tegra X1 chip still isn’t fully optimized. This makes it harder to play some power-hungry games.
As a result, gamers have found a solution. By overclocking the system, they have found a way to draw more performance out of the already amazing gaming console. So, how do you do that? In this article, we talk about how to Overclock Switch.
There is a homebrew tool on the internet called Sys-Click. You can find the details of the software here. Originally, its purpose was to evaluate the frequencies of the Nintendo processor. But with time, users found another function of the software.
It could effectively be used to overclock the system of Nintendo Switch. It tops out the stock clocks of the Tegra X1 chips. The frequency of GPU could be increased by 20% and the CPU by 75%.
How to Overclock Your Switch
- Install Atmosphere on your Nintendo Switch. Here is the guide to download atmosphere.
- Download the Sys-click Zip file.
- Download the config.ini files that have preloaded clock speed settings for many switch games. As you’d want to refrain from technical stuff.
- Insert your Switch’s micro sd card in your pc and copy all the downloaded files to the card. While copying, keep in mind that you must copy the config.ini file inside the Sys-click folder in your switch sd card.
- Insert the sd card back into your switch and open it. You’ll be booted to the atmosphere. From here, any game you open will load with the set profiles from the config file. You are good to go from this point.
Additional tip: If you want to change the app profiles and manually underclock or overclock some games, press the L button + D-pad down+ Right Joystick. This will open the menu overlay and you can find various options for the CPU and GPU speed.
Even though the method is pretty convenient to increase the clock speed to play some demanding games like Rocket League, it still has a slight drawback. Our main concern is the battery life which seems to drain a lot faster when the GPU and CPU are clocked to their maximum speeds. However, many users have used this technique to enjoy some heavy games on the platform with some great results.